Monday was a great day back to Little NxJumpers after the weekend. Last Friday we (well not me, I had the stomach bug!) were lucky enough to walk to the Union Square Farmer's Market to check out the produce. Each camper picked out a favorite fruit/vegetable. Speaking of food, our cooking teacher Ms. Laura has been awesome in helping us expand out palates! On Monday we all worked together to make buternut squash mac and cheese. We all LOVED it and have the recipe here for you to try at home. At the end of camp we hope to compile a recipe book from our time here!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
1 Tbs. Butter
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
½ cup parmesan
¼ tsp. kosher Salt
¼ tsp. black Pepper
4 Tbs. butter
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbs. Flour
4 cups Whole Milk
10 oz. Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 ½ cups cooked butternut squash puree
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
Penne Pasta (pre cook and rinse)
1. Melt 1 Tbs. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add panko, salt and pepper. Cook until toasty about 2 minutes, add the parmesan and stir to combine.
2. Add 4 Tbs. butter to empty skillet and melt over medium heat.
3. Add shallot and garlic and cook until softened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, until no dry flour remains.
5. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
6. Turn off the heat and add cheese, squash, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Add in the cooked pasta and stir to thoroughly coat.
7. Top with crunchy breadcrumb mixture